Tuesday 17 January 2012

Blogging thoughts

Such is the interest in Sherlock that my post on The Reichenbach Fall seems already to have become comfortably the most viewed post I've ever placed on this blog. Blimey - had I anticipated that, I'd have written it more elegantly instead of last thing on Sunday night!

I must admit that I am slightly wary of blog statistics - they seem a bit erratic, and since the changes to my blog template, figures for the first year or so have disappeared into the ether. Figures do seem to be generally higher in winter months than in summer, although that makes sense. But it does seem clear that this blog is visited more often now than ever before, even though I no longer post each day.

I'm glad that people keep finding and then returning to the blog, and I'm grateful in particular to those who read it regularly, many of whom, I know, don't necessarily comment. This level of interest is truly rewarding, especially given that pressure of work means I often don't find the time to do as many links and include as many images as would be desirable (the achievements in this respect of some other bloggers are much more impressive.) I must add that when I was experiencing a variety of stresses over the past couple of years, the support I received from you was enormously positive and meant a great deal.

There's not much more I can do than once again say thank you. But as a special treat for you, tomorrow I'm including a longer than usual post from one of the most impressive crime bloggers around. It's full of interest, I think, and I'm confident you'll agree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - I get wary of blog statistics too, but I'm glad that in this case, they show how valuable your blog is to those of us out in the blogosphere. I look forward to your continued posts.

Martin Edwards said...

Thank, Margot. Are there any trends you think worth checking out from stats?

Puzzle Doctor said...

Martin - my stats have exploded since my Sherlock reviews as well - I think a lot of it depends on whether you appear on the first page of a Google search or not - last time I looked, we're both there for a search on "Sherlock Reichenbach review".

Still, it looks from the rest of my stats that a lot of people who come for Sherlock hang around for some of the rest of the reviews as well, so it's all in a good cause.

Martin Edwards said...

Greetings, Puzzle Doctor and congrats on your excellent blog. I share your enthusiasm for puzzles and quizzes, though my abject failure to get into my college's University Challenge team remains something my children tease me about!
I'm sure you're right about Google rankings, though they, like so many other techonological things, remain a bit of a puzzle, too.

Liftgate said...

Martin - Just wanted to let you know that I am new to your blog and how much I have enjoyed it. I found you because I was interested in Verdict of Thirteen, which you did a forgotten book review on.

Martin Edwards said...

Thank you, Liftgate. Verdict of Thirteen was the very first Detection Club book I read, a long time ago, and I really enjoyed it.