Monday 24 May 2010

Crimefest 2010


I returned yesterday afternoon from a thoroughly enjoyable trip to Bristol, and I think everyone shared the view that Crimefest 2010 was a highly successful event. Congratulations are due to the hard-working team of volunteers who make sure that things go so smoothly, a tricky task accomplished with good humour and efficiency.

The superb weather was an added bonus and I took the opportunity to have a look round some parts of Bristol within walking distance. It's a rather appealing city, and one that, surprisingly, has not been featured too often in crime fiction.

Right from the outset I also had the chance to catch up with a number of old friends - within minutes of arrival, I found myself in the company of first Ruth Dudley Edwards, Linda Regan and Brian Murphy, and then Ali Karim, Maxim Jakubowski and Neil White. And the social aspects of the convention continued throughout the week-end, right down to the journey home with Kate Ellis, who kindly presented me with a copy of her latest book, The Flesh Tailor, about which more at a future date..

On Friday evening, a pub meal at The Green House, conveniently located opposite the convention hotel, was followed by a quiz set by Peter Guttridge. Our team, the Monkey Coalition, ran out winners despite struggling with various questions, especially about film. It was a very convivial occasion, and my colleagues were Rik and Carol Shepherd, Karen Meek, Ann Cleeves and Cath Staincliffe. Our prizes were a choice of books, cds and dvds, and I’m hoping that audio versions of books by Peter Robinson and Lee Child will improve my commutes in the weeks to come.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - So glad you had such an enjoyable time, and glad you got back safely.

Unknown said...

I just read a blog where author Leigh Russel was there, signing copies of her new book.

Sounds like a fun trip.

CD

Michael Walters said...

Deeply jealous, Martin, as I had to cancel my attendance at the last minute because of family illness. But very much hope to see you there next year, if not before!

Janet O'Kane said...

This is one event I've yet to attend; you make it sound as though I really should.
I'll be at Harrogate though. Will you?

Dorte H said...

I hope you are going to give us more posts about Crime Fest. I wish I could have gone, but Maxine and a handful of people from our FriendFeed room are trying to arrange something next year. So perhaps ...

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks for your comments.
Margot, it was great, and if you even get to England in May, do give it a try.
Clarissa, I was pleased to meet Leigh for the first time.
Michael, I'm sorry to hear about the illness and trust it is soon resolved. If you'd like to get together in due course, do drop me an email.
Janet, not sure yet about Harrogate, but I hope our paths cross before long.
Dorte - great idea!

Kiwicraig said...

Sounds like a fantastic event Martin - glad everyone had such a great time. Congrats on the Quiz win.