Sunday 10 January 2010

Between the Dark and the Daylight


I’ve just received the very handsome and substantial hardback and paperback editions of Between the Dark and the Daylight, edited by Ed Gorman and Martin H. Greenberg, published by Tyrus Books. This is a collection of 28 ‘of the best crime and mystery stories of the year’ and I’m proud to say that it includes ‘The Bookbinder’s Apprentice’, a story which was a joy to write, and which has been so good for me, having won the CWA Dagger for best short story and featured in Maxim Jakubowski’s equivalent UK anthology of Best British Mysteries.

Even before you get to the stories, there is a fascinating and authoritative preface by Jon L. Breen which reviews ‘the mystery year’, covering not only novels and short stories, but also movies; in addition, there is a detailed list of major mystery award winners in 2008.

The list of contributors to this volume is so impressive, that it’s flattering, as well as a privilege, to be part of the project. The authors include Michael Connelly and Joyce Carol Oates, two fellow Brits in John Harvey and Peter Robinson, and fellow bloggers including Bill Crider and Patti Abbott (there is also a story from Patti’s daughter Megan, whom I was glad to meet at the Harrogate Festival last summer.) The collection takes its title from a story by Tom Piccirilli.

Tyrus have done a good job in producing an attractive book which weighs in at just short of 600 pages; having declared my interest, I have to say that it seems a real bargain. One thing I have noticed is that the permissions list indicates that several of the stories included first appeared online. Is this a sign of things to come? It’s notoriously difficult to find print markets for short stories, but maybe the internet offers fresh possibilities. So far I have never had any of my stories appear online prior to print publication, but who knows what the future may bring?

13 comments:

Ann Elle Altman said...

What an awesome privilege. Hopefully I can pick it up someday.

ann

Anonymous said...

Martin - I'm sure you must be proud to see your work in such a fine book. Another addition to my TBR list : ).

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations! It sounds like a beautiful book.

I have a feeling that after too much longer we may ONLY have online releases (ebooks.) The times, they are a-changing...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Beth Solheim said...

Great post, Martin, and congratulations on your achievement.

Beth Solheim said...

Great blog, Martin, and congratulations on your achievement!

pattinase (abbott) said...

And yours was one of the best!
I have published almost all of my crime stories online. And five or more have now appeared in anthologies so it does seem to be the way of the future. Although I love getting the print journals in the mail.

Martin Edwards said...

Many thanks for all these kind comments.
Patti - that's really interesting, and does illustrate the way the market is changing.

seana graham said...

Congratulations, Martin. That is indeed fine company to be keeping.

I had to laugh a bit at my 'misreading' of Ann's comment about being able to pick it up someday. At just under 600 pages, that might actually be a physical challenge!

I have published a handful of short stories (not mysteries), and one of them was solely on line, while a couple others have online access. I admit that getting published in a print journal feels more substantial in a way, but the fact is that I've been able to share the stories on line much more easily with anyone who's interested--so I'm a bit conflicted about it all.

Martin Edwards said...

Seana, I do agree print feels more substantial, but maybe it's partly a matter of my mindset, and that in a few years' time, almost all short stories, including those by writers much more eminent than me, will appear first online. And reviews seem to be heading the same way.

Lourdes said...

I, too, will be on the lookout for this book. Congratulations on the award and on being included in the anthology!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Lourdes.

Benjamin LeRoy said...

Martin -

I loved your story and was very happy it was included in the collection that Mr. Gorman and Mr. Greenberg assembled. Thank you for the kind words.

Best,

Benjamin LeRoy, Publisher
Tyrus Books

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Benjamin. It really is a good looking book that you have produced, and I'm delighted to be associated with it.