Wednesday 21 October 2009

Murderland


I caught up with the first episode of Murderland only 24 hours after it was first shown, which by my standards of TV viewing (I’m still waiting to watch my DVD of The Charmer, which dates back to the 80s) is pretty fast going. The attraction, of course, was Robbie Coltrane, that charismatic actor who was so brilliant in Cracker.

Murderland is very different from Cracker. It’s written by David Pirie, and it features Coltrane as a rough diamond of a cop called Hain. He was called in when a single mother who is also a prostitute was found murdered at home years ago. In this opening episode (it’s a three-part series) events were seen from the perspective of the victim’s lovely teenage daughter, brilliantly portrayed by Bel Powley, although there are glimpses of her in the present day – still tormented by her mother’s brutal death.

One suspect is a dodgy chap who was spotted by the daughter taking photographs (of her) outside her home, but Hain is also in the frame. It seems he was one of the victim’s clients. But can Robbie Coltrane really be a killer? The bloke is practically a national treasure.

I enjoyed this episode. The pace was not exactly frenetic, but the acting was good, and I was sufficiently gripped to want to find out more about the case. I’ll be watching again next week. Or shortly after next week…

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You must have really been interested in watching it, considering your usual TV viewing habits! I've been that way with the Inspector Lewis shows, which are airing on our public broadcasting here in the States.

Okay, you've got me interested in Murderland now! I'll have to see if I can find it online.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Alice in Wonderland said...

I've still not got around to watch Murderland yet, but the reviews are pretty good. I have it recorded, so I might just snuggle up and watch it this afternoon. I like Robbie Coltrain, and from what I can gather, it's a murder shown through three different points of view. Sounds interesting. I'll get back to you about this!