Tuesday 18 August 2009

Lizzie Hayes and Mystery Women


The latest issue of the Mystery Women newsletter is just out, and as usual it is a good read. The tag-line is ‘Promoting Crime Fiction’, and Lizzie Hayes, Ayo Onatade and their colleagues do a wonderful job in the selfless and time-consuming work that they do to spread the news about mysteries they enjoy. Lizzie and Ayo are almost always to be found at crime festivals and they are great company.

I’ve been a member of MW for a number of years – yes, they do allow men to participate! – and I’ve enjoyed participating in a number of their events. A recent example was the panel at the Portico Library in Manchester moderated by Jennifer Palmer. And this week sees two major events associated with MW which I am really looking forward to.

On Wednesday evening, Kate Charles has organised what seems likely to be a super evening of crime talk at a fantastic venue, Ludlow Castle. Amongst those appearing are Andrew Taylor, Deborah Crombie and Laura Wilson. I’m honoured to have been invited to join them.

And then, this coming weekend, we have the annual Crime and Mystery weekend at St Hilda’s College, Oxford. I’ve attended this in the past, although not for a few years, and found it thoroughly agreeable. This year, I’m presenting a paper connected with the weekend’s theme, ‘The wages of sin’. The setting is terrific, the atmosphere is sure to be great; I only hope the rain doesn’t bucket down, for Oxford in the summer sunshine is a truly idyllic place to be.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

If only we had castles in America! That would make a great setting for a conference. And Oxford would, too. Sigh.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Kate Charles said...

Martin,
Thanks for posting this! One tiny correction: Deborah Crombie isn't participating in the Ludlow event this year (she did last year). Marcia Talley will be taking part, and the other authors are Natasha Cooper and Suzette Hill. There are only a few tickets left!
Kate Charles

Martin Edwards said...

More about castles and Oxford soon, Elizabeth!
Thanks, Kate. My only regret is that Deborah won't be there. A great writer, whom I was thrilled to meet for the first time in Baltimore last October.

Debbie said...

I am a writer and I have been published under my own name. Check me out
Family Secrets by Debbie Steever