Tuesday 4 August 2009

Adrian Lyne


After watching the Richard Gere movie Unfaithful the other day, I looked up details of the director Adrian Lyne. His name rang a bell, and I soon realised why – his CV includes a number of highly successful movies, including the ultra-memorable Fatal Attraction.

It turns out that his other achievements include Flashdance, and directing the music video of a song from the soundtrack, ‘Maniac’, which I’ve always liked (it’s performed in suitably manic style by Michael Sembello in the film.)

Unfaithful is a good film, which has earned much critical acclaim. And although I called it a ‘Richard Gere movie’, in truth the show belongs to Diane Lane, who earned an Oscar nomination for her performance as Gere’s wife. Lane also starred in Untraceable, which I covered on this blog a while back. She is a fine performer, and also very lovely.

Lovely enough, in the film, to be seduced by a glamorous Frenchman. Their torrid affair is conducted so carelessly that it’s no surprise when Gere gets to hear rumours of it. He hires a private detective to follow Lane, and a series of calamities ensue. The film does, at times, move excruciatingly slowly, but it’s very well-made. Lyne is a genuinely accomplished director.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I haven't seen "Unfaithful" and will have to look for it at the video rental.

Sounds like Adrian Lane has directed some very different types of movies.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Vince said...

I enjoyed Unfaithful, the rare studio movie that takes sex seriously. My favorite Adrian Lyne film by far is Jacob's Ladder. Haunts me to this day.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is a good movie. Diane Lane is heartbreaking and for once, Richard Gere plays his part quietly. I liked it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Yes, great movie but definately a DIANE LANE film. She is so cool in this film and proved what an underrated and undervalued actress she truly is. Damn hot as well!

Martin Edwards said...

Many thanks for all the comments while I am overseas. I am finding it tricky to post replies but hope this one gets through!