Monday 19 January 2009

200 years ago today...





...Edgar Allan Poe was born. To all intents and purposes, he created the detective story, and in his short life he did much else besides. Needless to say, the anniversary of his birth is being widely celebrated, and I enjoyed - among other tributes - Xavier Lechard's on At The Villa Rose, which links to a few of the best features on Poe, including a good, concise essay by Andrew Taylor for the BBC.

When in Baltimore for Bouchercon last year, I made my own pilgrimage to the small graveyard where Poe is buried. It's a quiet oasis in the middle of the city streets and buildings. Here are a few of the photos I took.

I must say that I find graveyards fascinating, if sometimes melancholy spots, and some have a very special atmosphere. Highgate Cemetery is justly celebrated, and absolutely worth a visit if, like me, you find burial grounds irresistibly intriguing.

2 comments:

Jane said...

My favourite graveyard is Llanbadraig Church (http://www.cemaes-bay.co.uk/attractions/llanbadrig.htm) in Cemaes Bay in Angelsey which is built on a cliff and overlooks the Irish Sea.
I first visited it in 1986 and last went in September 2008(which I blogged about (295 days to go)
It was used in the film Half Light with Demi Moore.

Martin Edwards said...

I don't know it all - thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely check it out next time I visit Anglesey, which I hope will be before long. I enjoyed Half Light.